Monday, January 18, 2010

...What Does Your Email Font Say About You?

Today I received an email from a supplier with whom I’m about to do business. The email was in a font that gave me an unprofessional vibe. Here is the font:




So I did a little research. I was interested in how the font I use affects my image because I want to project a professional image in all my professional interactions . I found this study conducted last fall by Wichita State University.

This study found that the choice of font can impact the impression you make on your email readers.

The study tested several popular fonts for "appropriateness" in a business communication.

Depending on your choice, you may come across as youthful, rebellious, unstable, less trustworthy or less professional. Not exactly what you intended.



Here's how the fonts stacked up, from most appropriate to least:

1. Calibri - highly appropriate
2. Corbel
3. Candara
4. Cambria
5. Verdana
6. Arial
7. Times New Roman
8. Constantia
9. Georgia
10. Century Gothic
11. Comic Sans - moderately appropriate

The fonts that rounded out the list as "least appropriate" were Gigi, Rockwell Extra Bold and Impact.

The lower a font ranked in appropriateness, the more likely a reader was to assume the writer was a lower level trainee employee, and less mature.

The takeaway from the study: Your font choice may create an unprofessional first impression if you're not careful. Steer clear of playful, "novelty" fonts that may not truly represent your level of experience.

Source: http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/91/POF.html

No comments:

Post a Comment