Tuesday, January 5, 2010

...My 8 step fixture count process before the buyout.


1. I create a matrix with the drawing page numbers across the top and the fixture nomenclature from the fixture schedule in a column to the left.

2. I go to the first drawing and highlight, in orange, the “Matchline”. I do this because the same fixture will usually be on multiple drawings if it’s located near a “Matchline” and I don’t want to count the same fixture twice.

3. I then highlight, in yellow, all the fixture numbers.

4. Then I begin the fixture count with a pencil in my right hand and the orange highlighter in the left. I put a dot on the fixture number with the highlighter then record it in the matrix with a line.

5. If I notice there are several of the same fixture on the same page I’ll count all those at once while placing a dot on each with the highlighter then record that number in the matrix.

6. When you get toward the middle columns of your matrix it’s easy to make a mistake and place the fixture count in the wrong column so I place a post-it not next to the column I’m currently working in to keep my eyes in the correct column.

7. Then I total the each fixture for that page and circle it.

8. Finally I transfer all that information to the excel spreadsheet. Click Here to example.

Notes: Because fixtures will be installed at the end of the job, I think it’s a good practice to do this take-off later in the job. The reason is there will usually be numerous revisions that may change some fixture types and/or quantities. Check with your supplier to lock in prices.



Fixture Takeoff Complete

No comments:

Post a Comment